Eight boys rescued from flooded Thai caves, now up to 'rain god'

Odisha Sand Artist's Sculpture Has A Prayer For Thai Boys Stuck In Cave

An elite team of Thai Navy SEALs and foreign rescue divers on Tuesday began what they hoped would be a final push to rescue four boys and their soccer coach from a cave near the Thai-Myanmar border after extracting eight others through a labyrinth of tight passages.

Tech inventor Elon Musk has developed a "tiny, kid-size submarine" that could help rescue the four boys and their soccer coach who remain trapped in a flooded cave in Thailand.

Another four were rescued on Monday and the last four boys and the coach were brought out on Tuesday.

The second group of four rescued Monday, 12-14, also had low body temperatures and one had an irregular heartbeat, but by Tuesday morning all four boys were normal, Jesada said. As with the previous rescue efforts, 19 divers have gone into the cave, with two divers escorting each of the boys out of the cave with tethers.

A health official earlier described the mental and physical condition of the eight rescued so far as "good", adding they will be kept in hospital for around a week. "All the thirteen Wild Boars are now out of the cave", the Thai navy SEALs team, which is helping to lead the operation, said on its Facebook page.

"I am very happy about those who already made it out and I think everyone will be out today", said Waranchit Karnkaew, 14, who also said the football-mad boys had been closely following games at the World Cup in Russian Federation before they were trapped.

"We continue to fully support the multinational rescue effort and pray for the safe return of the remaining members of the team", Manning said.

Four of the boys were carried out on stretchers on Sunday and four more on Monday.

Two divers accompanied each of the boys, all of whom have been learning to dive only since July 2, when the first searchers found them.

Narongsak Osottanakorn told a news conference the latest rescue operation began at about 10:08 am local time.

Two of the boys are thought to have lung infections, but there are no serious complaints to report.

'The equipment they brought to help us is not practical with our mission'.

CNN was told the boys were exploring the caves on June 23 with their coach when they were trapped inside by heavy seasonal rains.

Osatanakorn added that relatives would need to keep at least two metres away from the boys for at least 48 hours, until "we are sure there is no infection, then they can visit them normally".

He wrote in a tweet posted this morning: "Mini-sub is ready if needed". "Hopefully useful. If not, perhaps it will be in a future situation".



Other news