Copa del Rey: Barcelona thrash Celta Vigo to reach quarter-finals

Barcelona 5 Celta Vigo 0: Messi inspires rout as holders book quarter-final spot

Earlier Thursday, Espanyol overturned a 2-1 loss in the first leg to defeat Levante 2-0 with Leo Baptistao and Gerard Moreno on target either side of half-time.

Lionel Messi propelled Barcelona into the quarter-finals of the Copa del Rey on Thursday, as the Blaugrana breezed past Celta Vigo 5-0 at the Camp Nou and 6-1 on aggregate.

Lionel Messi scored twice before Jordi Alba, Luis Suarez and Ivan Rakitic completed the victory, ensuring Barca's treble hopes remain alive.

Messi not only scored two in the first half as Barca eased 4-0 clear at the break at the Camp Nou, but he also played in Jordi Alba for his side's third goal with sublime accuracy.

Messi was on hand to double Barca's lead on the quarter-hour mark after playing Alba into space, who in turn charged down the wing and played the ball back into the path of the Argentine, who duly drilled home.

"It's a luxury to have Messi in the team", Alba said in an interview.

Suarez joined the party even before the half time whistle and capitalising on Pione Sisto's sloppy back pass, Suarez found the net for the fifth game running. The first Barcelona goal was a result of poor goalkeeping by Alvarez while the second was a fine team goal. Making the last eight will take some of the pressure off new coach Vincenzo Montella following Sevilla's painful 5-3 home loss to crosstown rival Real Betis in his Spanish league debut on Saturday.

"We just weren't capable of defending the Messi-Alba binomial, a link up which we have seen many times and in the La Liga game here last month we were able to stop it", Unzue said in his postgame news conference.

Related:

  • Why ISRO's first launch of 2018 made Pakistan nervous

    Why ISRO's first launch of 2018 made Pakistan nervous

    Today's launch shows problems from last year's failure were addressed and fixed, ISRO said. Sivan was speaking in the context of ISRO's failed launch in August.
    Facebook overhauls news feed to focus on friends and family

    Facebook overhauls news feed to focus on friends and family

    This sparked a change in the goal of Facebook's product teams - helping users to have more meaningful social interactions. Over the next few weeks, users will begin seeing fewer viral videos and news articles shared by media companies.
    Trump to undergo medical check after mental state claims

    Trump to undergo medical check after mental state claims

    Sanders then said the president supports the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Amendments act but has concerns. As a constant critic of the president's personality, I tend to agree.
  • Festive sales fall for Marks and Spencer

    Festive sales fall for Marks and Spencer

    M&S slashed prices on 200 lines before Christmas, but Mr Rowe said the group had not been competitive enough on everyday lines. Britain's biggest retailer posted its total like-for-like sales growth was 1.9 per cent with food rising 3.4 per cent.
    California mudslides: Death toll rises to 17

    California mudslides: Death toll rises to 17

    By Tuesday night at least 13 people were confirmed dead, at least 25 were injured and at least 50 had to be rescued by helicopter. Hundreds of rescuers are combing through the wreckage of an area of southern California that was engulfed by mudslides.
    Honda to debut 2019 Insight Prototype at North American International Auto Show

    Honda to debut 2019 Insight Prototype at North American International Auto Show

    The Insight's battery pack is located under the rear seats, allowing a full-size boot and 60/40 split folding. Honda is wagering that an ordinary vehicle with 5 seats is the thing that the market needs.
  • Queen's bra-fitter stripped of royal warrant after revelations

    Queen's bra-fitter stripped of royal warrant after revelations

    High-end lingerie brand Rigby & Peller has lost its licence with the Queen as the lingerie supplier to the royal family. Buckingham Palace said: "In respect of royal warrants, we never comment".
    Huma Abedin and Anthony Weiner call off divorce

    Huma Abedin and Anthony Weiner call off divorce

    A compliance conference in their divorce proceedings was due to take place on Wednesday but Ms Abedin did not show up. Weiner reported to prison in November to serve a 21-month sentence for sexting with a 15-year-old girl.
    YouTube responds to disturbing Logan Paul video

    YouTube responds to disturbing Logan Paul video

    The highly edited video, which showed the body and the onlookers' reactions, was viewed by millions globally before being removed. He later issued two apologies and announced that he would be suspending his vlog temporarily to "take time to reflect".
  • Nintendo Direct Mini Unveils Some Major Titles for 2018

    Nintendo Direct Mini Unveils Some Major Titles for 2018

    Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is getting new downloadable content, and it focuses on one of Nintendo's leading characters. Players looking for more relaxed gameplay can try out the Dragon Quest Builders demo , live on the Nintendo eShop today.
    Houston Health Department confirms 2 flu-related deaths

    Houston Health Department confirms 2 flu-related deaths

    The entire last flu season, there were 173 cases, compared to this season, in just the first three months, there have been 130. Parkland Hospital in Dallas has seen nearly 1,000 people coming to their emergency department seeking treatment.
    National Basketball Association  disciplines four after feisty night between Raptors, Heat

    National Basketball Association disciplines four after feisty night between Raptors, Heat

    James Johnson's absence could leave the Heat with 10 available players tonight, but just six from the regular rotation. Officials reviewed the incident and then issued technical fouls and ejections to both players.

Comments

Other news